Self Employment Assistance / Training Program (SEA)
New Jersey's Self Employment Assistance & Entrepreneurial Training Program (SEA)
The SEA Program assists qualified unemployed individuals who are seriously interested in setting up a business in New Jersey and becoming self-employed.
SEA benefits include:
- Weekly SEA Compensation in place of Unemployment Benefits
- A waiver of the Unemployment Insurance (UI) active work search requirement while actively engaged in self-employment activities.
- Counseling and technical assistance in developing a business plan
- Financial assistance for entrepreneurial training courses
Interested in participating?
If you are interested in learning more about this program, ask a Workforce Representative (1st floor) to schedule you for a PROS orientation.
To qualify for the SEA Program, you must:
- Be eligible to collect Unemployment Insurance benefits
- Be a dislocated worker and unlikely to return to your previous employment
- Have been profiled by the State of New Jersey as likely to exhaust your Unemployment Insurance benefits
- Have a viable Business Idea
- Be willing to work full-time on developing the business; and
- Have, or be able to obtain, the financial backing needed to start and sustain a business until it becomes self-supporting
SEA compensation and Unemployment Insurance benefits:
The SEA compensation replaces Unemployment Insurance compensation at the same weekly rate and maximum benefit amount. The total payment on a combination Unemployment Insurance and SEA claim cannot exceed the maximum benefit amount of the original Unemployment Insurance claim. SEA participants are not eligible for extended benefits or Addition Benefits during Training (ABT).